ALCORN.BLOGSPOT.COM

Peaceful Pioneers: Articles, Songs, Links, Photographs, Paintings, Ideas, Reviews, Results, Recipes

4.22.2005

ART

Art restoration, discovery, thievery, and fakery: stories about these have always fascinated me, from the stolen Munch painting last year to the discovered Shakespeare portrait in rural Ontario. Now one of the most famous paintings of Shakespeare is being called a fake by experts.


The Flower Portrait [fake?]


Portrait of William Shakespeare by John Sanders, 1603 [real]

Is Sanders' portrait authentic?
What do the skeptics say?

For an excellent novel about a similar issue, I highly recommend Michael Frayn's Headlong.


OTHER

My mom and sister leave for a Utah hiking trip tomorrow:




Who is Sydney Pollack? (He acts as well as directs, and I still remember that endless scene in Eyes Wide Shut, where he plays pool with Tom Cruise. Endless).

“Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen,” urged Bob Dylan in Times They Are A-Changin’. They came, and keep coming.

Some excellent Dylan songs include:
Just like Tom Thumb's Blues
Abandoned Love
I'm not There
Positively 4th Street
To Ramona
Idiot Wind
Wedding Song
Never Say Goodbye -->

Twilight on the frozen lake; North wind about to break
On footprints in the snow; Silence down below.
You're beautiful beyond words; You're beautiful to me
You can make me cry; Never say goodbye.

Time is all I have to give; You can have it if you choose
With me you can live; Never say goodbye.
My dreams are made of iron and steel; With a big bouquet
Of roses hanging down, From the heavens to the ground.

The crashing waves roll over me; As I stand upon the sand
Wait for you to come, And grab hold of my hand.
Oh, baby, baby, baby blue; You'll change your last name, too
You've turned your hair to brown; Love to see it hangin' down.


Favourite songs of the past 30 days include:
Talk - Coldplay
Saturday - Josh Rouse
Elevator Love Letter - Stars
That's How I Knew This Story Would Break My Heart - Aimee Mann
Devils & Dust - Bruce Springsteen
Engine Driver - Decemberists
Missing - Beck

Gustavo Chacin looks like he may be for real. His glasses are disconcerting.


I hate Nomar Garciaparra. Jose Reyes is my new full-time shortstop, I guess.

Grizzlies make for excellent documentaries:
Grizzly Man
Project Grizzly


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home