ALCORN.BLOGSPOT.COM

Peaceful Pioneers: Articles, Songs, Links, Photographs, Paintings, Ideas, Reviews, Results, Recipes

6.15.2006

AMERICAN FOOTBALL

Ben Roethlisberger is out of hospital. Apparently Roethlisberger means idiot in Pittsburghese.

"He [Cowher] talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe." said Roethlisberger.

from fittedsweats.blogspot.com:

Sorry. I realize this is everywhere by now. He said the above in reference to not wearing a helmet when he rides his motorcycle. I guess trading a career in professional football for good old fashioned brain damage (not mutually exclusive btw) is cool.

That's like saying "I'll be more careful when I hold lit matches near my penis. The fire can't really get that hot. Plus my penis is covered up with this thick rag that I've gotten really wet with gasoline. Shouldn't be a big deal. Then I think I will give a truck driver a small mountain of crystal meth, and I will put on my rollerblades and ski behind his truck. I'll do it in the summer, so it isn't so icy out on the highway. I don't take risks. Then I'm gonna start my lawn mower, and flip it over cause I need to get a good look at how the blade spins. But I don't want to disturb anyone, so I'll take it about 75 miles from the nearest hospital, and I'll throw my cellphone into the creek beforehand so it doesn't get chopped up. I'll probably make love to some Thai shemale prostitutes before that, but I won't use a condom. That would ruin it. They've also told me that they like to make cardhouses using credit cards, so I sent them all of mine, and when they get bored they'll just come over and we'll get it on. But not before I try to talk some sense into this rabid grizzly bear that has been taunting Western PA. I don't have any clean shirts, so I'm just going to make one out of these old bloody steaks I have lying around. Then go sleep near its cave. I'm gonna guzzle a shitload of medicated cough syrup too, just so I am calm."

Basically Ben, you can either truly be safe, and keep winding up in the end zone during the Super Bowl and guarantee that you're grandchildren will never have to work, or you can keep riding your cycle and watch the game from the confines of a wheelchair at a tavern, telling every one how awesome you once were while looking around for spare dimes and/or teeth under the jukebox.

TENNIS

McEnroe was gushing over Federer during the first set of the French Open final. Mats Wilander's comments:

"Nadal is the first player to challenge Federer in any way. After the first set today, Hewitt would have thrown in the towel, Roddick would have thrown in the towel. Everyone says Federer is too good, and he is too good, but they don't have the balls that Nadal has. After the first set Nadal says if you play the way you played the first set then it's true you are the greatest..."
"Federer is a fighter and he should know he has the game to win the French Open. Whether he has the game to beat Nadal at the French Open is another question, but let's hope he doesn't pull a Pete Sampras and (that) he keeps coming back because he's fun to watch — he's the most fun player to watch."
"When you don't care that's when you come up with no balls. I think Roger Federer, today, unfortunately came out with no balls. The first set was a very aggressive in terms of shot making, in terms of hitting the shot, but it was not an aggressive mind set. It was like 'Whoa, let me see what happens when I hit it.' And it goes in and it goes in and it goes in and it goes in in the whole set. It took two points in the second set and that was finished. It was over, it was never going to come back again...He should have realized in the second set, surely, after two games 'Wow I'm not hitting the ball quite as well let me try going back to the game plan', which surely couldn't have been staying at the baseline as much as he did because if that was the game plan then he should have been getting another game plan, really. So I think he choked because I don't believe he thinks he can beat Nadal from the baseline. I can't imagine that. Because if he can't beat him from the baseline on hard courts then he can't beat him from the baseline on clay. That's crazy."
"Unfortunately for Federer, I think what happened is he hit the ball so well early that he forget about the game plan. That's really must what have had to have happened."
"I'd much rather watch Federer move than Nadal move, Federer is so smooth. He's unbelievable."
"He's not the best player ever, not by a long shot yet. You face him (Federer) against Jimmy Connors and I don't know that he's going to beat Jimmy Connors for two reasons here (Wilander points to groin)....Sports is about balls and about heart and you don't find too many champions in any sport in the the world without heart or balls. Against Nadal they shrink to a very small size and it's not once. Federer is going to win one in 10 (times) from the baseline against Nadal."
_________________________________________

Art in Europe.
Devastated by USA World Cup team's first-round loss, nation grounds to a halt.
Why Doesn't my Code get its own movie and book? by Sam Morse

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home